Friday, April 11, 2008

On my way to school...




I just thought I'd give you a little picture tour through my daily journey to school. Well, really it's only the last 5 minutes as the first 20 are spent on the bus. It's particularly pretty now with the cherry trees all flowered.



I have no idea what these trees are, but the flowers are really big and most of them are white. The second picture is in front of my school. This tree/bush has huge purple flowers...









Along the way I come to a park. This park is lovely for children and also includes exercise machines for adults...it's quite normal for exercise machines to be in the park.











Then I cross through a parking lot...there are often a lot of cars here. Many times in Korea cars are double parked/block other cars in. Sometimes I see people pushing cars backwards or forwards just to get their own car out (I guess some people leave their car in neutral or Koreans are EXTREMELY strong for their size).






I meant to blog about this a long time ago, but one of the more interesting things I discovered while here is that most car owners will place their phone number in the dashboard of their car (is it weird that I find that so interesting??). A lot of times it's on a cute little pillow (the second car has a pillow, it's a little far away). I'm assuming this is for other people to call them to move the car, or call them if they back into the car while parallel parking...or maybe just to see if the cars for sale! Not exactly sure on all the rules - I just think it's crazy that they just place their phone numbers in plain view.













Interesting eh??? haha
The last thing I come across before entering through those looming school gates are the students who have the job of crossing guard. Amazing what they make students do in this country...



Have a good weekend all. Shana's sister arrives on Monday for a couple weeks which is going to be lots of fun! Also, my thoughts and prayers are with the Donkersloots as they (we!) all await the new baby!!

4 comments:

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Thank you for your thoughts for the baby! Has Katy told you her name? Cause she won't tell me!!! (Mary Lou)

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen It looks like a very pleasant trip to school at this time of the year. If they have exercise equipment in the park why are you paying at the gym? Spring has sprung at home. the grass actually looks green! Love you! Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen. Long time since I wrote you. It's so nice to see your pictures - what a nice walk to work! It sure is good to have spring arrived all over the world. It's great to throw off all the heavy winterwear. Supposed to be 21 here on Friday - woohoo. Thinking of you often and and holding you in my prayers
Love ya
Aunt Jennifer

Shana said...

it IS interesting about the numbers in the cars Karen... thumbs up HAHAHA